Firm: Smith Gambrell & Russell, LLP
Location: Los Angeles - CA
444 South Flower Street Suite 1700
Los Angeles, CA 90071
- Tel : 213-358-7218
- Fax : 213-358-7318
- Email : LKoffman@sgrlaw.com
Linda S. Koffman concentrates her practice in structuring, documenting, and closing a variety of complex real estate
transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, and real estate secured financing for all major commercial
asset types: office, retail, industrial/warehouse, and large multi-family projects. Koffman has represented private
opportunity funds, pension funds, pension fund advisors, real estate owners, insurance companies, developers,
institutional investors, lenders, and asset management companies in transactions throughout the United States, including
Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, and Washington.
Ms. Koffman also has significant experience with the telecommunications industry. Starting in 1988, she represented a
cellular carrier and negotiated over 400 cell site leasing (both ground and rooftop installations) and co-location
transactions. In the mid-1990s, Ms. Koffman represented XM Satellite Radio in its master lease program to build out its
national infrastructure. Since then, she has represented numerous commercial landlords in cell site leasing transactions.
- Represented a national investment advisor (as representative for a State pension plan), as the landlord, in a
47,500 square foot office lease transaction in downtown San Francisco, CA. The lease transaction included the
drafting and negotiation of the lease document, work letter, storage space lease, and balcony lease and included
the right of first refusal rights, right of first offer rights, and rights of first availability on various other floors in the
- Represented State pension plan, as a landlord, in lease transactions in a commercial high-rise building in
- Representation of a national fitness company, as tenant, in lease transactions in San Antonio, TX and Costa Mesa, CA.
- Represented the managers of the historic Culver Studios in Culver City, California, to acquire 50 acres of
property in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to develop a 500,000 square foot independent motion picture and
television studio. The transaction included the formation of a joint venture, mezzanine, and construction
Acquisitions and Dispositions of Real Property:
- Represented Seller in selling a portfolio of five creative /office space buildings in Santa Monica, CA, for
sale to an institutional buyer in Texas. The portfolio was in excess of $90,000,000. Each property had its own
unique challenges (leasing issues, structure or systems issues, missing reconveyance deeds, etc.) to resolve
before the entire portfolio of five properties was sold
- Represented Buyer in its acquisition of a U.S. Postal Service Building in Santa Monica, CA.
- Represented Buyer in the acquisition of a portfolio of industrial properties located in the States of Washington,
California, and Arizona with a total of over three million square feet of space. The value of the portfolio was in
excess of $150,000,000. The representation provided included negotiating the purchase and sale agreement and
the ancillary documents thereto, the real estate due diligence on the acquisitions, and the closing of the
- Represented Seller in the disposition of thirty-six (36) office/warehouse buildings in Utah. The representation
provided included negotiating the sale agreement and ancillary documents thereto and closing of the transaction.
Acquisitions and Dispositions of Entities Holding Real Property Assets:
- Representation of California county employee retirement association in the acquisition of all partnership interests in a Florida general partnership which owned forty (40) acres of improved real property located in Clearwater, Florida. Analyzed issues concerning ownership of property, drafted and negotiated all documentation, supervised all due diligence on the partnership, constituent entities and underlying real property and closed the transaction.
- Representation of a large California county employee retirement association and affiliates in the acquisition of membership interests of a Maryland limited liability company which owned improved real property in Maryland. The representation provided included analysis of issues concerning ownership of property by a pension fund, the drafting and negotiation of documentation to acquire the membership interests in the limited liability company, due diligence on the limited liability company and constituent entities, due diligence on the underlying real property, and closing of the transaction.
- Representation of major insurance company, as lender, in a $96,000,000 financing for the rehabilitation of a retail shopping center in Ventura County, California.
- Representation of a Texas real estate development company, as borrower, in a construction loan transaction with major California bank concerning the development of industrial/warehouse space in Orange County, California.
Communications Infrastructure and Cell Site Leasing:
- Designing, drafting and negotiating terms of executive employment and separation agreements.
- Representation of PacTel Cellular in creating lease form and setting up lease negotiation guidelines. Negotiated about 400 cell site leases (ground installation, rooftop installation and co-location) throughout Southern California.
- Representation of XM Satellite Radio, as tenant, in the negotiation of master lease/license agreements for communications activities with the following landlord: The RREEF Funds, Lattice Communications, Midwest Tower Partners, CNS Microwave, Inc., Potomac Electric Power Company, Pacific Gas & Electric Company and TA Associates.
- Represent landlords in lease transactions with various cellular carriers.
- Editor, The Abstract (Official publication of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys), Spring, 2021-present
- Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA), August 2013-present.
- Executive Committee of the Real Property Section of the State Bar of California (May 1999 – January 2000).
- Managing Editor, California Real Property Journal, Official Publication of the Real Property Section of the State Bar of
California (May 1999 – May 2003)
- Executive Committee, Real Property Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association Property Section of the Los
Angeles County Bar Association, June 2009 – May 2013
- Board of Directors, Jewish Partisan Educational Foundation, April, 2002-present
- Board of Directors, Glendale Memorial Health Foundation, January 1999-January 2000
- Board of Directors, Commercial Real Estate Women Los Angeles (CREW-LA), January 1999-January 2000
Smith Gambrell & Russell, LLP
Since Smith Gambrell Russell began practicing law in 1893, we have pursued a vision of building one of the country’s premier full-service business firms. Today we serve corporate counsel and corporations across the globe from offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Austin, Texas; Jacksonville, Florida; London, UK*; Los Angeles, California; Miami, Florida; Munich, Germany; New York, New York; Southampton, UK* and Washington, D.C.
When the founders of Smith Gambrell Russell began practicing law in 1893, they did so with a commitment to excellence, which has become the firm’s tradition.
We are proud of the industry and community accomplishments that the many members of SGR have achieved over the years. This value continues to grow stronger as new chapters of history are being written on Smith Gambrell Russell.